Posted by OC ADVANCED PERIODONTICS on Jun 18 2019, 02:43 AM
Our team strongly encourages everyone to floss daily, but do you ever wonder why? Well, flossing is vital for top-notch oral health and smiles. It can help you and your oral health in more ways than you might realize. This means that if you forget to floss, your smile can also suffer. Forgetting to floss can:
– Leave your smile vulnerable to developing cavities: If you don’t remove food particles, plaque, bacteria, and other harmful substances from between teeth, they can attack the tooth enamel and create a hole in the surface, creating what is known as a cavity. The cavity can affect one or more teeth and can spread, infecting multiple layers of the teeth. If you’re not careful, it can affect the tooth nerve, tooth pulp, and even the root canal.
– Make you fall victim to gum disease: If you don’t remove plaque from the surfaces of the teeth as well as from the gum line, it can severely affect the gums. In fact, it can irritate and infect the gums to make them swell and bleed. It can also turn into tartar and make the gums recede from the base of the teeth. As time passes, that tartar can spread to the jawbone and deteriorate it, causing loose and even lost teeth. It’s very important to remove plaque daily before it affects the gums.
– Compromise the entire health of your body: If you don’t treat your gum disease quickly, it can contribute to serious health issues like heart disease, diabetes, stroke, respiratory disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.
When it comes to proper flossing, some tips we have to include the following:
– Use about 16-18 inches of floss and wind most of it around your middle fingers
– Using your thumbs and index fingers, gently use back-and-forth motions to slide the floss between your teeth (avoid snapping the floss onto your gums)
– Following the curves of your teeth, gently floss between each tooth and along the gums
– As you move between each tooth, use a clean area of the floss
– Keep floss or travel floss picks on hand for when you get food particles stuck during the day
Proper flossing helps you not only achieve better oral and overall health but can help avoid costly treatments. If you do need a specific treatment, our team will help you find the most cost-effective solution.
Make sure to floss regularly and at least once a day! That way, you can have the top-notch smile and oral health you deserve. To learn more about flossing, please reach out and talk to a member of our team. We will be more than happy to give you and your family the answers and information that you need for a great smile!
Dental anxiety is the fear of the dentist or of dental procedures. Dental anxiety often stems from a …
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, can be an embarrassing problem. It can cause anxiety and embarrassment. If …
Dental anxiety or fear of the dentist is very common. Many patients avoid going to the dentist for …
Dental anxiety or dental phobia is a fear of visiting the dentist. People fear the dentist for a …
Laser dentistry is a fairly new field in which lasers are used to complete common dental procedures. It …
1076 E 1st St STE F, Tustin, CA 92780
MON - THU 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
FRI 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
SAT - SUN Closed
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (714) 730-7877