If your gum tissue becomes infected over time, it is known as periodontal disease or gum disease. If it is left untreated, it can advance and progress past gingivitis and into severe gum disease, which can result in the loss of teeth. Preventing gum disease is a key component of healthy smiles.
The best smiles are possible with gum disease prevention. Facts about locating gum disease include:
– Look for bad breath signs that keep coming back.
– Search for dry mouth symptoms caused by some foods and medications.
– Look out for bruised, swollen, excessively red or bleeding gums.
– Shift and wiggle your teeth to check and see if they are wobbly or loose.
– Be on the lookout for symptoms of poor oral hygiene and improper or neglected oral health care routines.
– Are you still smoking or using drugs, both of which put you at an elevated risk for gum disease?
– Search for signs that your gums are reversing course away from teeth.
– Look for gums that bleed easily or are overly sensitive to the touch.
If you think you have gum disease, please call OC Advanced Periodontics so we can get you in to see Dr. Patrick L. Huston, DDS, MSD and our team as soon as possible. Our office is located in Tustin, California, and we can be reached at 714-795-3117. Don’t delay, now is the best time to upgrade your smile.